- The maia™ (macular Integrity Assessment) has arrived and it represents the next generation of central visual field instruments.
- The maia™ is a non-mydriatic scanning laser ophthalmoscope which incorporates a high speed eye tracker and a macular perimeter to determine threshold sensitivity of the macula area as well as fixation characteristics.
- The maia™ monitors eye position 25 times each sec and then adjusts the placement of each stimulus onto the intended retinal location regardless of fixation errors.
- Any maculopathy, retinopathy with posterior pole involvement, glaucoma, retinal toxicity, amblyopia, or unexplained vision loss can be evaluated with the maia™ and the results described in terms of threshold sensitivity and fixation stability.
- This week’s case includes 6 examples of maia™ clinical utilization and contrasts the findings to other technologies such as SD OCT and traditional visual fields.