Contemoporay Visual Fields
• In addition to glaucoma, visual fields are often very helpful in retinal dysfunction as well as in visual pathway disorders.
• In retinal disorders visible to ophthalmoscopy, structure/function relationships are most often predictable.
• But visual field loss often predicts retinal dysfunction invisible to both ophthalmoscopy and standard fundus photography as well.
• In such cases, visual fields often correlate better with fundus auto fluorescence than with ophthalmoscopy.
• In some cases, visual fields appear to be more sensitive than virtually all of the structural tests.
• In this week’s case, examples of all of the above scenarios are highlighted.